Saturday 6 July 2013

Network Design and concepts

So while I am downloading a bunch of ISO's ( Visio included :-) ) and prepping VM's, I thought we can have a look at some network concepts.
 
My networking experience is very limited so please excuse the basic approach i have taken.....
 
What I would like to achieve with the network is to be able to have full control over the links connecting three network segments. This will enable me to mimic a link failure between sites.
 
 
 
With concept 1 I can control links between my network segments, but will require more Memory overhead as this concept requires three vRouters/firewalls.
 
Concept 2 has less memory over overhead but also limited control between my segregated networks.
 
Once I have identified which virtual routing devices i will use I will start deploying the network.
 
 
UPDATE:

Okay so after some research I realised that my thoughts around the network conception for the Lab were flawed. Nonetheless I downloaded Vyatta Community edition to for my virtual routers. (http://www.vyatta.org/downloads) [note the versions]

i configed a linux other 2.6.x vm with the following :
-vcpu
-128mb memory
-2gb VMDK
-two Virtual NIC's

I booted up with the LiveCD.iso. you need to logon before you can invoke the install command.
I logged on using "vyatta" as the username and password. the "install system" command is used to install OS to disk. I used the default values at the prompts to complete installation.

Now that I installed one vRouter. it was time to draw my network layout:
 

I decided to keep it basic so i stuck with default class C subnets and matched the numbering in the last octect of the IP on the interfaces of my Routers,as indicated on diagram.
 
192.168.0.0/24 will be used for the "Core network"
192.168.1.0/24 will be used for site 1 "JHB"
192.168.2.0/24 will be used for site 1 "CPT"
192.168.3.0/24 will be used for site 1 "DBN"
 
I found this really cool blog that deals with networking labs, which was quite handy in the configuring of the routing and routers : http://roggyblog.blogspot.com/

I used these video's to setup the routers and routing :



 
 
 I created the Labhat.local domain and configured my sites:
 






 
 
ESXI networking screendump:
 

 
As you can see the network is isolated in vmware, with no link to the uplink NIC.
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment